Pierre Mauboussin on the left, Charles Fauvel at his side, in front of the PM-X.
In 1928, Pierre Mauboussin, then technical director of the eponymous jewelry business directed by his father in Paris, teamed up with engineer Louis Peyret to design and manufacture the PM-X, a high-wing single-seater. Piloted by Charles Fauvel, the future father of flying wings, the PM-X broke several international records.
In 1930, the PM-XI adopted the same two-seater side-by-side formula and barely more powerful engine. René Lefèvre conducted two raids with it, to Madagascar and Saigon.
In 1931, the PM-XII inaugurated a low-wing formula in tandem. These planes will be powered by a variety of engines, from Salmson to Regnier via Pobjoy and Minié.
Pierre Mauboussin had his planes manufactured at Letord in Paris, Zodiac in Puteaux, Breguet in Vélizy and Couzinet in Levallois. In 1936 he joined forces with Fouga to manufacture his planes inAire sur l’Adour.
During the Second World War he met Robert Castello, an engineer at Dewoitine and an amateur designer of gliders: together they designed and produced the series of “CM” gliders.
In 1949 the CM8R13 “Sylphe” was the first glider powered by a reactor, supplied by Joseph Szydlowski’s company Turbomeca.
In 1951 they designed the CM-170 “Magister”, the first school jet aircraft, of which more than 800 copies were produced.
In 1958 Potez bought Air Fouga: Pierre Mauboussin became its director.
He retired in 1967.
In the early 1930s, Pierre Mauboussin entrusted his planes to Hélène Boucher and Maryse Hilsz to break several records and participate in competitions, including the 12 Hours of Angers.